Thing 7a – The Power of TED

I love the TED videos.

TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from those three worlds. Since then its scope has become ever broader.

The annual conference now brings together the world’s most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes).

I subscribe to them in iTunes (opens in iTunes), update whenever I sync my iPod and usually watch them in the taxi to work or while taking my mind off the drudgery of the gym. There are so many times I have an “A-ha!” moment, thinking about how this amazing new thing relates to my curriculum. Then, more often than not, I forget about it until it’s too late.

Apparently, I’m not the only one who does this. There are quite a few TED resources out there. More importantly, there is Larry Ferlazzo, who has put together The Best Teacher Resources for TED.

Some of the most useful blog posts I’ve found are merely launching points to related posts. It highlights the collective consciousness of Web 2.0. My Personal Learning Network reads for me, vetting “The Best of the Web” that coincides with my interests. (Of course, there is always the hated “echo chamber” effect that one needs to be careful of.)

7 thoughts on “Thing 7a – The Power of TED

1. Larry, thanks for stopping by! I’m pretty excited that I discovered your blog. I can’t wait to wade my way through your archives and all of your past “Best of…” lists.

2. @schecker I absolutely love TED, both personally and professionally. There are just so many cool things that people are doing. Plus, there are some excellent examples of the interconnectedness of knowledge and concepts.

3. I’ve loved the TED talks for a few years now. The topics and speakers are always interesting and get the creative brain juices flowing. I’ve also used some of the videos for highlighting good examples of visual presentations that compliment oral lectures. Thanks for the link to Larry’s blog.

4. I think I will try TED as well. I now often listen to podcasts on my iPod on the way to work. I have become very tired of the same old dribble on the radio in the car. Podcasts fill some travel time with more interesting and work related themes that I would otherwise not have time for. Thanks for the recommendation, I will try this one out.